Volunteer to help
Oceanside Emergency Support Services (OESS)This group of dedicated volunteers provides assistance to people displaced or directly affected by an emergency or disaster. Trained volunteers arrange for food, clothing, housing and access to emotional support for up to 72 hours after an emergency. If you are evacuated from your residence due to an emergency or you do not have insurance against damage to your residence due to fire or other emergency situation, you will be greeted and supported by caring volunteers.
Oceanside Emergency Communications Team (OECT)Emergency Management Oceanside is also supported by ECT; Volunteers licensed through Industry Canada as radio operators provide communications within the region, throughout the province and around the world using voice and digital radio equipment. Messages can be passed along regarding the welfare of residents to loved ones outside of the region and the needs of the region in an emergency.
We can't do it alone!Both ESS and ECT rely on community volunteers. Although not paid positions, volunteers receive full training paid for by EMO. Training is not required to join ESS or ECT, just a desire to provide a valued service to your community when it is needed most. We are currently seeking volunteers or those interested in starting a Neighbourhood Emergency Preparedness Group.
Benefits of volunteering include:
- Positively impact the lives of others.
- Make a difference in your community.
- Networking and meet new people.
- Experience professional growth.
- Build your resume.
- Be part of a dynamic team.
- Gain access to free training, exciting events and opportunities.
- Work on special projects to enhance emergency management.
- Have fun!
- Enjoy working as part of a team?
- Have concern for, and want to help, people who have been affected by disaster?
- Have capacity to respond on short notice, sometimes in the middle of the night?
- Work well under potentially stressful situations?
- Have creative and innovative solutions to problems?
- Have an interest in increasing the emergency management capacity for Oceanside region.